This month I was pleased to attended a briefing from Missing People on what policy initiatives should be implemented to find missing people and, crucially, stop them going missing again.
Missing People Services
Missing People provide a number of freely accessible services across Scotland:
- Runaway Helpline: A support service for children and young people, is delivered by phone, text and email 24/7. The team provide a free, confidential safe space for children who are missing or are thinking about running away.
- 116 000: A 24/7, free, confidential helpline for missing adults, helping them to stay safe and reconnect with their family or a safe space.
- Family Support: Emotional and practical support for families with a missing loved one. This includes 24/7 access to emotional support through our helpline, specialist counselling, guidance on working with the police and dealing with financial and legal challenges.
- Publicity: Working with the police to produce and disseminate a tailored appeal asking the public to join the search for vulnerable missing people.
- Child Rescue Alert: A national alert system to make the public aware of high-risk missing children when there may be a risk to life.